Saturday, June 20, 2009

"Mesa Grill" Inspired Chops with Grilled Peach Salad, Goat Cheese and Toasted Walnuts

I'd love to go to New York City for the weekend sometime and check out both Mesa Grill and Bar Americain. Until I get there, I'll make some of their signature dishes at home.


The secret to this recipe is the dry rub, which Mesa Grill uses on it's steaks. Since the rub works equally well on pork, I got a couple of extra thick, center-cut loin chops to try it with. (If you're barbecuing thick cuts I recommend that you use a temperature probe, or instant read thermometer so you can pull it it at the perfect time.) I used a mortar and pestle to grind the coriander and cumin, and my spice grinder to take care of the dried chilis. By the way, if you can't find ancho chiles than you can substitute them for another low-heat chili such as a New Mexico Red.

Since the rub might be a little spicy, I paired the chop with a sweet and savory Grilled Peach and Goat Cheese Salad. If you have the preparation time it's good to drizzle the salad with a balsamic reduction. To make it just put a 1/2 cup of your favorite balsamic vinegar & 1 tablespoon of honey in a pot and simmer it until it is a thick syrup.

Mesa Grill Steak Rub
Ingredients
• 1 cup ancho chili powder
• 1/3 cup Spanish paprika
• 3 tablespoons ground dried oregano
• 3 tablespoons ground coriander
• 3 tablespoons dry mustard
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
Directions
Whisk together all ingredients. Store rub in a container with a tight fitting lid in a cool, dark, place.




1 comment:

  1. we had that tonight, sooo good and quick and easy
    I'll forward this to friends
    Jen

    ReplyDelete